Friday, February 8, 2008

Humble Food: Black Bean Soup




It's been raining here for over a week now... It's soup weather... Need I say more? This soup is... OH MY Goodness. I kid you not. FULL of flavor, warmth, and goodness...



This is also my humble entry for the Legume Love Affair blog event, created and hosted by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook! Thank you, Susan, for inspiring us to prepare more recipes with luscious, nutritious legumes!

Smokey Black Bean Soup

1/4 lb. bacon OR vegetarian "bacon"
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb fresh or frozen green beans
3 cups beef broth and 1 cup vegetable broth OR 4 cups vegetable broth
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
salt to taste

~ In a large soup pot over medium high heat, cook the bacon on each side until browned and crispy (For vegetarian "bacon," you'll need to add a bit of olive oil to the pan). Remove the bacon from the pan, chop into 1" pieces, and set aside.
~ Pour off and discard all but 2 T of bacon grease (or olive oil). In the remaining 2 T, still over medium high heat, saute the onions and carrot until the onions are golden. Add the garlic, and saute for 2 more minutes.
~ Stir in the green beans, broth, vinegar, black beans, red pepper flakes, and chopped bacon. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for a half hour or so, salting to taste...

For a simple, filling supper, I served the soup alongside some roasted eggplants and mushrooms, sprinkled with some parmesan shavings...

8 comments:

Cookiemouse said...

That soup looks so great that I'm going to link to this post.

anya said...

It's not humble food, it's HEAVENLY food!!

Astra Libris said...

CookieMouse, thank you so very much for the link! I'm honored, as always!

Anya, you're too kind! Thank you! :-)

Susan said...

What is it about adding vinegar to black beans that brings out their incredible flavor?

Astra, I can just tell how wonderful this soup tastes.

Thanks for joining in!

Allison said...

Ooh, I have been craving some good vegetables lately, and this makes me want them even more! And it's been so long since I made soup... I think I am going to have to try this! It's lovely =)

Also, I am sure that dessert is my ultimate health food! (Seriously, if I don't have something sweet after every meal, I just don't feel nourished)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Black bean soup is the best! And roasted eggplant is pretty awesome as well :o)

Astra Libris said...

Susan, thank you so much for your incredibly lovely compliment! I absolutely agree about the vinegar - vinegar can do magical things...

Allison, I'm thrilled that you're going to try the recipe! I hope you enjoy! Three cheers for dessert as health food... I think dessert should be its own food group. :-)

ChocolateCoveredVegan, I agree! Black bean soup is one of my favorite foods! Such a great vegan source of protein and fiber, too...

Meg Wolff said...

Hello,
I found you through Susan's blog. This recipe looks wonderful. My sister was looking for a black bean recipe, so I sent her your link. Thanks for the great post. I also enjoyed your story. :-)