Friday, July 25, 2008

Sugar High Fridays: Southern Peach-Blueberry Cobbler



Random thoughts come to me at the oddest times. I suppose this would be inherent in their definition of "random," but still, sometimes I even surprise myself with the unrelated directions in which a brain (mine, expressly) can travel. Yesterday, for example, I returned home from my second 12-hour clinical shift in the hospital and was in the midst of pealing off my scrubs when it dawned on me that I'm a southern chef, and I have yet to write a post about peach cobbler. Yes, there I was, standing in the laundry room with one leg in and one leg out of my teal green scrubs, thinking about peaches and biscuit toppings. While exhaustion prevailed and I didn't write the post right then, today I remain convicted that the peach cobbler void on this blog must be filled. Such a travesty must be remedied expeditiously.

Hence, without further adeu, I give you The Best Southern Peach Cobbler. (In my humble opinion. :-)



P.S. As you probably already noticed from the photos, the aforementioned "peach cobbler" has - blueberries? Blueberries make everything better, peach cobbler included... And because of those delightful blueberries, I'm sending this post to Susan of Food Blogga, who so wisely and wonderfully chose berries as the theme for this month's Sugar High Fridays event!)

P.P.S. If you are like Zach and don't fancy peaches, you can substitute apples for the peaches... If you are like my friend Kathleen who isn't enamored with blueberries, you can substitute any kind of berry you do adore... It's a very user-friendly cobbler (and it can be vegan too!)



Peach and Blueberry Cobbler

2 T cornstarch
1 1/2 cups raw sugar
5 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
6 peaches, cut into 1/2" slices
3 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 rounded T raw sugar
1 cup light vegan margarine or butter
9 oz vanilla soymilk
2 T raw sugar

~ Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 13X9" baking dish with cooking spray.
~ Whisk the cornstarch into the 1 1/2 cups sugar, then fold in the blueberries and peaches.
~ Pour the blueberries and peaches into the baking dish, and bake for 15 minutes - just until bubbling.
~ Meanwhile, toss together the flour, baking powder, salt, and 6 rounded T sugar.
~ Cut the vegan marg or butter into the flour mixture, using your hands or the food processor, until the flour resembles course meal.
~ Add the milk to the flour mixture, and stir just until a soft dough forms.
~ Scoop the dough in 1/3 cup piles onto the hot fruit mixture. Sprinkle the dough with the remaining 2 T sugar.
~ Bake until golden brown - approx. 25 to 35 minutes. Serve warm, with vanilla ice cream or vegan ice cream!

12 comments:

Peter M said...

Mmmm, what time should I drop by...I make dinner, you guys dessert...deal?

VeggieGirl said...

That certainly DOES look like the best cobbler - yum!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I would have been thinking of how to get a foot massage after a 12 hour shift. I'm glad you were thinking of cobbler though. And you're right, the South does have the best peaches.
BTW-I just posted a peach and blueberry galette, with California peaches though. :)

Cakelaw said...

Blueberries do make everything better. This looks absolutely fab - would be perfect with a glass of Pimms and lemonade.

Adam said...

Thanks for your compliment. I just try to have fun and hope you learn a thing or two :)

I just checked out your blog too, and I like your healthy ideas. We def have some similarities. I'll bookmark you and be back.

Good luck with nursing school by the way. I think health professional foodies are quite a find :)

Sally Parrott Ashbrook said...

Mmm that sounds delicious! I love peaches and blueberries together--it is a natural combination, somehow.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

This looks great! perfect for the bounty of peaches and blueberries this time of year!

Astra Libris said...

Peter, you definitely have a deal! Is 7PM good for you? ;-) We'll be awaiting you! :-)

VeggieGirl, thank you so much!

Susan, hooray for peaches and blueberries! Your galette is absolutely gorgeous!

Cakelaw, you do know how to make my day! :-) Pimms and lemonade sounds like the perfect suggestion!

Adam, thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so delighted that you visited! I quite agree - healthy, health professional foodies rock! :-)

Sally, thank you! I'm so glad you understand the peaches and blueberries combo! :-)

Jenn, thank you! We're are indeed swimming in peaches here down south... :-)

Kevin said...

I really like adding blueberries to peach cobbler...mmm...

Astra Libris said...

Kevin, thank you so much! Hooray for blueberries!

Holler said...

I love blueberries and I will definitely be adding it to this recipe! Thank you for this gorgeousness :)

Astra Libris said...

Holler, thank you so much! I'm thrilled that you'll be trying the peach-blueberry combo! Enjoy - and hooray blueberries! :-)