Monday, November 10, 2008

Noodle Stew



Two nights ago I came home from class with an achingly sore throat, which, alas, is how my colds nearly always start. My first response was to look in the mirror and state with firmness, "you do not have time to get sick right now, so just stop this nonsense." Since this was largely ineffective in alleviating my sore throat, I embarked upon a much wiser plan B: I went straight downstairs, swallowed large doses of echinacea, Vitamin C, and flax seed oil... and decided it was time to make soup.



My version of the classic "chicken noodle-soup" cure-all, this is truly a noodle soup, with the emphasis on the comfortingly tender whole grain noodles in their carroty herb broth. Tofu adds a protein and texture boost, making it "tofu noodle soup" - except this is really a stew, or at the very least a soup-stew," as it's so hearty and filling and nourishing that it really is a meal all in one warm bowl...

The next morning, I woke up with my sore throat miraculously disappeared. My fortuitous escape from an untimely cold was very likely due to those massive quantities of echinaciea and vitamin C... but I like to think I was cured by the soup!

So, just in case this soup does have curative properties, most likely in the "make you feel cozy inside and out" department, I'm sending it to Holler of Tinned Tomatoes, the host of this month's No Croutons Required "Hearty Pasta Soups and Salads" event!



Tofu Noodle Stew

1 (12 oz) block firm tofu, pressed dry and cut into 1" cubes
2 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup shredded carrot
1 T rosemary
1 bay leaf
4 to 6 cups vegetable broth, depending on how thick you like your soup
8 oz whole wheat noodles
1/8 cup minced parsley
salt and pepper to taste

~ Season the tofu cubes to taste with salt and pepper.
~ In the olive oil over medium-high heat, saute the tofu cubes until browned slightly on the sides.
~ Add the onion, garlic, carrot, and rosemary, and saute until the onion is limp and translucent and the carrots are crisp-tender.
~ Stir in the bay leaf and broth, and bring the liquid to a boil.
~ Add the noodles, and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes - until the noodles are tender.
~ Stir in the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper...

7 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Hope you feel 100% better soon!!! Keep eating that soup!!! :-D

Katrina said...

Thanks for your comment! This sounds yummy, and just as much of a cure-all as that pho place down the street from my house. Where in the South are you from? I grew up down there myself, in the hills of Tennessee and partially in West Kentucky.

Emily said...

Your soup looks and sounds really good! We're having a comfort food recipe contest and would love to have you enter. Check it out at MarxFood.com

Adam said...

I'm so glad you made some nice, fresh, tofu soup! My mom used to make chicken soup for us whenever we were sick, so it has a special spot for me.

Excellent job on taking the echinacea. As I was reading, my eyes went wide and I was like "Yo she needs some echinacea to nip that in the butt". I swear by that stuff, if you take it when the initial symptoms start. Glad to see nurses and chiros are on the same wavelength :)

Cookiemouse said...

Just the thing for this time of year. Lovely recipe.

no croutons required said...

Thanks for entering your soup Astra! I do hope you are feeling better.

Holler
:)

no croutons required said...
This comment has been removed by the author.