I haven't written a blog post in a week, well, because honestly I haven't cooked in a week. I've written about the work-life balance challenge before, but clearly I haven't been doing so well because here I am in the workaholics corner again. This past week, I have truly done little else besides get up, work out, go to work, work 12 to 14 hours a day, fall into bed, and start the cycle over again. In many respects this problem is a blessing, because I've never before had a job I'm truly passionate about like this one. Now, I have a job in which I feel completely invested, a job I happily wake up and fall asleep puzzling over. Still, this is probably the first week in my life when I haven't cooked a single thing, and this feels foreign and uncomfortable to me. I feel satisfyingly productive and accomplished, but not fully creatively nourished. Most significantly, since Zach is working night shifts again, by choosing to work especially long hours I have forgone the evenings Zach and I would normally spend together before he departed for work. Both my dear husband and my sanity feel relegated to the background. So, I need to regroup this week. I need to make plans both for the job I enjoy and the people I love. I need to return to the kitchen. I need to share with my dear blog friends the remarkable asparagus spring dip I promised... While I try to remember what it's like to feel peaceful and centered again.
Spring Asparagus Dip
- 1 lb 3/4-inch pieces asparagus
- 2 tablespoons SmartBalance Light
- 1 cup chopped leeks (white and pale-green parts only)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk
- 1 cup grated low fat cheddar
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 tsp dried chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°. Steam asparagus until crisp-tender.
- Melt SmartBalance Light in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in flour; gradually whisk in almond milk. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly.Cook, whisking occasionally, until thickened; remove from heat. Add cheddar; whisk until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fold in asparagus, corn, chives, parsley, and feta cheeseTransfer mixture to a 4–5-cup baking dish and bake until bubbling, 15–20 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.