Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Oat Flour Chocolate Cupcakes



  It's no wonder my sanity is not within the realm of normalcy. The last time we visited with my parents, my dear mother brought along in her suitcase an entire pound of rolled oats. Naturally, she was unable to consume an entire pound of raw oats in 5 days, so she proceeded to leave them with us. Now I'm never one to turn away oats, but since we usually have a bountiful quantity of bulk raw oats on hand anyway, the addition of this gift meant I seriously needed to put some oats to good use.






Enter the magical concept of homemade oat flour. Gluten free, nice and fibrous, and oh so good for you. All you have to do is drop some rolled oats into your food processor, and a few pulses later, viola - oat flour. And, since I've already dirtied my food processor I see no reason to introduce a mixing bowl to the equations, so simply plop all the rest of your ingredients right in there with your oat flour...





Oat Flour Chocolate Cupcakes

1.75 cups rolled oats
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup raw sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
3 egg whites
1.5 tsp vanilla
1 cup fat free Greek yogurt
1 cup warm water
Dark chocolate chips - you can also use dark mint chocolate chips, as I did...

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners or coat with cooking spray.
In a food processor, pulse the oats until well powdered.
Add the remaining dry ingredients and pulse until combined.
Add the wet ingredients and purée until smooth. 
Pour the runny batter into the muffin cups until 3/4 full.
Evenly sprinkle 1 T chocolate chips across the top of each cupcake.
Bake for 15 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Cool on wire racks, and serve with frozen yogurt!




I blog with BE Write

2 comments:

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) said...

How do they taste? They look a wee bit dense. LOVE the homemade oat flour idea though!

Katerina said...

I can never say no to chocolate!